WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT WARFARIN TOXICITY?
WARFARIN is an oral anticoagulant that is used to treat the formation of blood clots in our body. It acts as a blood-thinning medication that prevents the formation of harmful blood clots thereby reducing the risk of a stroke or heart attack.
How can a drug be toxic? It can be toxic if the dosages are not managed properly. When the doses are too high Warfarin toxicity occurs. If not treated on time, it can become life-threatening.
COMMON SYMPTOMS OF WARFARIN TOXICITY?
• Change in color of urine (pink, red or dark brown)
• Rashes on the skin or red spots
• Severe headache, dizziness
• Continuous bleeding from a minor cut
• Heavy bleeding in women during their menstrual period
• stomach ache
• bleeding during vomiting
• blood in bowel movements.
READ OUR OTHER BLOGS:
• When the patient takes higher doses of WARFARIN as prescribed
• If PT/INR LEVELS are not properly monitored.
SOME SAFETY MEASURES BEFORE TAKING WARFARIN
Tell your doctor about any allergies you may have to Warfarin.
Make sure all of your medical history is given to your Physician.
MANAGEMENT OF DOSES OF WARFARIN (COUMADIN)
The best way to reduce any possible toxicity from WARFAR